[gmx-users] How to provide the FFTW3 install directory

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 31 17:53:44 CEST 2014

On 3/31/14, 11:49 AM, Ly Minh Nhat wrote:
> Using cmake .. -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/usr/local/lib and cmake ..
> -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/usr/local/include still not work.

As they shouldn't.  As the option says, it's a prefix, i.e. it will look for
lib/ and include/ within that directory.  So specifying /usr/local/lib as a
prefix will go searching for /usr/local/lib/lib and /usr/local/lib/include,
which clearly won't work!

> ls for /usr/local/lib: libfftw3.a  libfftw3.la  pkgconfig  python2.7
> python3.3
>
> ls for /usr/local/include: fftw3.f  fftw3.f03  fftw3.h  fftw3l.f03
> fftw3q.f03

At least you've located where things are.  Since /usr/local is a standard
location on most systems, I don't see why you need to specify any additional
options, but -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/usr/local in theory should work.

-Justin

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 3/31/14, 6:33 AM, Ly Minh Nhat wrote:
>>
>>> I downloaded the fftw and gromacs tar file to the desktop, extract them in
>>> desktop. I install fftw by ./configure, make and make install, so I
>>> (quite)
>>> sure that the directory of fftw3 is Desktop/fftw3.3.4
>>>

>> If you simply did ./configure, make, make install, then the default
>> location for installing the libraries is in /usr/local/lib and
>> /usr/local/include, not the source tree.  If you have lib/ and include/
>> subdirectories within the source in ~/Desktop/fftw3.3.4, then you did
>> install it there, but that requires explicitly setting that location with
>> ./configure --prefix.
>>

>>   I also try Desktop/fftw3.3.4, /home/ooker/Desktop/fftw3.3.4 as your
>>> suggestion, but it still doesn't work. And yes, I delete the build folder
>>> each time I try to install it.
>>>

>> That indicates the libraries and headers are not, in fact, installed
>> within ~/Desktop/fftw3.3.4.
>>

>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences