[gmx-users] Water out of box? Negative Z-Coordinates

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 31 23:45:21 CEST 2014

On 3/31/14, 5:39 PM, GtrAngus wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> I am having a little problem with my cubic box full of water. I am trying to
> calculate the polarization density so I divide the box into different layers
> in Z-direction and do my calculation for every layer. The box goes from 0 nm
> to 4 nm in every direction. Now I realized that some of my atoms were not
> taken into consideration because they have negative Z-coordinates! How do I
> have to change the PBC to avoid this problem? :)

Well, what did you do to observe negative coordinates?  In principle, all unit
cells in Gromacs have an origin at (0,0,0) and the way mdrun works you should
only get positive coordinates, IIRC.  So the emergence of negative coordinates
is a bit odd, but there's nothing wrong with it.

> Does a negative value of e.g. -0.1 mean the atom has the position 3.9 in
> reality? If that's true then I can fix this myself with my C-Code.

Yes, assuming your box dimensions are invariant (i.e. NVT/NVE), but trjconv
should handle this so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore