[gmx-users] How to provide the FFTW3 install directory

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 31 23:47:26 CEST 2014

On 3/31/14, 3:12 PM, Ly Minh Nhat wrote:
> It still doesn't work. Here is the output:
>
> ooker at ooker-Aspire-4741:~/Desktop/gromacs-4.5.7/build$ cmake ..
> -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/usr/local
>
> -- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.8.1
> -- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
> -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
> -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
> -- Detecting C compiler ABI info
> -- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
> CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
> found.   Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.

Here's problem #1 to fix.

> [...]
> -- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
> -- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
> -- Looking for pthread_create in pthread
> -- Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
> -- Found Threads: TRUE
> -- Performing Test PTHREAD_SETAFFINITY
> -- Performing Test PTHREAD_SETAFFINITY - Success
> -- Looking for include file sched.h
> -- Looking for include file sched.h - found
> -- Looking for sysconf
> -- Looking for sysconf - found
> -- Atomics found
> -- Setting build user & time
> -- Setting build user & time - OK
> -- Checking floating point format
> -- Checking floating point format - IEEE754 (LE byte, LE word)
> -- Checking for 64-bit off_t
> -- Checking for 64-bit off_t - present
> -- Checking for fseeko/ftello
> -- Checking for fseeko/ftello - present
> -- Checking for return type of signals
> -- Checking for return type of signals - void
> -- Checking for SIGUSR1
> -- Checking for SIGUSR1 - found
> -- Checking for inline keyword
> -- Checking for inline keyword - inline
> -- Checking for inline keyword
> -- Checking for inline keyword - inline
> -- Checking for pipe support
> -- Checking for isfinite
> -- Performing Test isfinite_compile_ok
> -- Performing Test isfinite_compile_ok - Success
> -- Checking for isfinite - yes
> -- Checking for _isfinite
> -- Performing Test _isfinite_compile_ok
> -- Performing Test _isfinite_compile_ok - Failed
> -- Checking for _isfinite - no
> -- Checking for _finite
> -- Performing Test _finite_compile_ok
> -- Performing Test _finite_compile_ok - Failed
> -- Checking for _finite - no
> -- Checking for GCC x86 inline asm
> -- Checking for GCC x86 inline asm - supported
> -- Checking for MSVC x86 inline asm
> -- Checking for MSVC x86 inline asm - not supported
> -- Checking for system XDR support
> -- Checking for system XDR support - present
> -- Performing Test XFLAGS_SSE
> -- Performing Test XFLAGS_SSE - Success
> -- Performing Test XXFLAGS_SSE
> CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeCXXInformation.cmake:37
> (get_filename_component):
>    get_filename_component called with incorrect number of arguments
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>    CMakeLists.txt:3 (PROJECT)
>

> CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
> CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
> -- Performing Test XXFLAGS_SSE - Failed
> CMake Error at
> /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108
> (message):
>    Could not find FFTW3F.  Provide the fftw3 install directory in the
>    FFTW3F_ROOT_DIR environment variable.  (missing: FFTW3F_LIBRARIES)
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>    /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315
> (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
>    cmake/FindFFTW3F.cmake:31 (find_package_handle_standard_args)

You have a couple of upstream problems.  Whether or not those are related to
FFTW ultimately not being found, I don't know.  Other things to do:

1. Use a newer version.  There have been numerous changes to the build machinery
over the last few months.  In principle, 4.5.7 should build, but newer versions
should be even more reliable.

2. Install FFTW in a completely obvious place by itself, i.e. /usr/local/fftw so
you always know where it should be found and you can completely control how it
is found using -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH.  FWIW, this is what I always do.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore