[gmx-users] Error:EM did not converge while using polarizable ion

折晓会 shexh19 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 4 00:38:08 CEST 2015

Dear professor Justin,

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I really appreciate your help!

I build a larger system and use the parameters you suggested. The simulation is working better now, especially after decreasing the time step, but EM occasionally does not converge in some steps during the simulation. For example,

step 341262: EM did not converge in 100 iterations, RMS force 2.608
step 341263: EM did not converge in 100 iterations, RMS force 15.730
step 341264: EM did not converge in 100 iterations, RMS force 40.663
step 341265: EM did not converge in 100 iterations, RMS force 88.519
step 341266: EM did not converge in 100 iterations, RMS force 173.432

step 473594: EM did not converge in 100 iterations, RMS force 9.094
step 473595: EM did not converge in 100 iterations, RMS force 24.042
step 473596: EM did not converge in 100 iterations, RMS force 57.226
step 473597: EM did not converge in 100 iterations, RMS force 127.469
step 473598: EM did not converge in 100 iterations, RMS force 285.591
step 473599: EM did not converge in 100 iterations, RMS force 479.862

I am wondering if this is common for polarizable model simulations. I tried to use different time steps (0.2, 0.5 and 0.8 fs) and longer steps (500 000, 800 000), but the similar warnings occured periodically as above.

In addition, I am also confused about the outcome of the energy minimization, since it reaches neither the emtol (1) nor the nsteps (50000):

Energy minimization has stopped, but the forces have not converged to the
requested precision Fmax < 1 (which may not be possible for your system). It
stopped because the algorithm tried to make a new step whose size was too
small, or there was no change in the energy since last step.

Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 2115 steps,
but did not reach the requested Fmax < 1.
Potential Energy  = -1.0560062e+09
Maximum force     =  1.7716933e+15 on atom 2483
Norm of force     =  4.9991217e+13

Based on this outcome, is it due to the low machine precision which stops the energy minimization?

Best wishes,
Xiaohui