[gmx-users] 2. Proton transfer reaction in gromacs (Padmani Sandhu)

Groenhof, Gerrit ggroenh at gwdg.de
Tue Aug 11 12:55:44 CEST 2015

Hi,

Since bonds break and form upon proton transfer it requires quantum mechanics, both for the electrons and the proton(s).

To avoid the heavy computational burden,  one can opt to use classical dynamics for the proton and semi-empirical methods, which are accessible in Gromacs (<5) through the QM/MM interface (http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~ggroenh/qmmm.html),  or EVB, which is not yet available, for the electrons.

Alternatively, if you're happy with only approximately treating the quantum effects of the proton transfer reactions, you can opt for hydyn (DOI: 10.1002/jcc.23536), which allows for proton transfer between water molecules in classical MD simulations. However, it has not been extended to amino acids yet.

Best,

Gerrit

   1. Re: Preparation of simulation system for GdmCl and protein
      simulation. (Mark Abraham)
   2. Proton transfer reaction in gromacs (Padmani Sandhu)

Message: 2