[gmx-users] box size and neighbor list cut-off

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Aug 17 20:16:05 CEST 2015

On 8/17/15 2:02 PM, Johnny Lu wrote:
> Dear Users,
>
> Hi.
>
> Box vector length:
>        3.448, 3.448, 3.448 nm dodecahedron.
>        (Box volume is 28.98 nm^3)
>
> Diameter of tripeptide:
>        1.248 nm
>
> Volume of tripeptide:
>        0.35503 nm^3 (from genbox output)
>
> Short range Neighbor list cut-off:
>        1.1 nm (set manually by rlist=1.1)
>
> Other short range cut off (VdW and electrostatic):
>        1.0 nm
>
> According to 5.2 manual (manual-5.2-dev.pdf),
>        "This means that the length of each box vector must exceed the length
> of the macromolecule in the direction of that edge plus two times the
> cut-off radius R_c"
>
> Box vector length >= Diameter of peptide + 2 x cut-off
>        3.448 = 1.248 + 2 x 1.1
>
> Do I have to leave any leeway in the box size? (say, a box size of 3.5 nm)

The point is to set a minimum such that you avoid minimum image violations.
This is tricky if the peptide might extend.

> I will run a NPT simulation (Berendsen barostat). Then continue the
> simulation with a NVT simulation. And finally continue the NVT simulation
> with a NVE simulation.
>
> Last time when I ran a double precision NVE simulation, I set rlist=1.3 and
> used a 4.848^3 nm^3 dodecahedron box. The energy conservation was good. If
> I use a 1.1nm rlist, will I get an energy conservation that is nearly as
> good as the rlist = 1.3nm simulation?

I would say let the Verlet algorithm tune rlist.  That's its job.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore