[gmx-users] What's the point of adding ions to neutralize the system?

Smith, Micholas D. smithmd at ornl.gov
Fri Aug 21 14:23:34 CEST 2015

Just to add to Justin's third point; hydrophobic interactions can also be affected by the presence of salt in the system (read: Hoffemeiser effect). A better question would be not why do we add salt, but why do we only add enough to neutralize? And why do studies typically only add NaCl to neutralize the system.

Micholas Dean Smith, PhD.
Post-doctoral Research Associate
University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Center for Molecular Biophysics