[gmx-users] calculate average and maximum non-bonded energy between energy groups

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Aug 26 12:00:30 CEST 2015

On 8/26/15 5:55 AM, Tushar Ranjan Moharana wrote:
> Hi Vitaly,
> Thanks for your suggestion. I have 30 energy groups. I faced following
> problems while using gmx energy.
>
> 1) With gmx energy there are more than 3000 options to choose from. All the
> options are not visible in terminal because of large number. There for I
> cann't proceed further.

Use a bigger terminal, or at least one that allows scrolling...

> 2) Output of gmx energy is a .xvg file with X axis as time and Y axis as
> energy between 2 groups. To get the data the way I need (X axis energy
> group and Y axis total energy with all other groups) I have to again
> process them with some other tool.

Right, see gmx analyze.

> Out put of gmx energy has time in X axis and energy in Y axis. The maximum
> value of which I referred to as  maximum interaction energy. (This mayn't
> be the exact definition).

I would agree with Vitaly that this is really not a useful quantity.  It is
force field-specific and not necessarily anything to do with thermodynamics or
free energy.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629