[gmx-users] Pull parameters to Restrain motion along the Z Axis

Barnett, James W jbarnet4 at tulane.edu
Wed Aug 26 17:08:09 CEST 2015

pull_start = yes means COM distance is added to the pull_init value. So whatever distance your two pull groups starts out at plus pull_init is the window where it will sample.

pull_start = no means just the pull_init value is used as the reference distance. If you have pull_init set to 1.0 then that is the reference distance for sampling (the window where it will sample).

If you haven't equilibrated at the reference distance it could take a little bit for your two groups to get to the reference distance. At t=0 nothing has moved yet, unless you have equilibrated with the same pull code parameters already (and you probably should, depending on what your goal is here), so you should not expect the distance between the two groups to already be near the reference distance before the simulation has begun.

If you're looking to restrain the protein's movement to the z-axis such that it can only move along the z-axis, this is not what you'll be achieving. Here are you restricting the movement of the protein along the z-axis but it is free to move in the x and y directions. I may be misunderstanding your goal here. There are some flat-bottom restraints you can add to make it such that the protein only moves in one direction if that's your goal. Check the relevant sections in the manual.

--
James “Wes” Barnett, Ph.D. Candidate
Louisiana Board of Regents Fellow

Tulane University
341-B Lindy Boggs Center for Energy and Biotechnology
6823 St. Charles Ave
New Orleans, Louisiana 70118-5674
jbarnet4 at tulane.edu