[gmx-users] How do I calculate the difference between two energy values?

Johnny Lu johnny.lu128 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 02:31:29 CEST 2015

Let x(t) be coulomb decoupling at time t.
Let y(t) be VdW decoupling at time t.

I guess the most safe way to get the answer is:
calculate z(t) = x(t) + y(t)
then, calculate standard deviation of z(t).

If x(t) and y(t) are independent and both x(t) and y(t) are normally
distributed, then I guess using the error propagation rule is fine.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sum_of_normally_distributed_random_variables)