[gmx-users] OPLS forcefield amide charge

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Aug 28 01:39:20 CEST 2015

On 8/27/15 7:13 PM, Stella Nickerson wrote:
> I am simulating a polymer using the OPLS forcefield. The polymer has a
> sidechain with a secondary amide. Using the atom charges given in the
> forcefield, the amide group (N, O, 2Cs, 2 Hs) has a net negative charge. I
> don't understand why this is so, since to my knowledge amides are not
> generally negatively charged. When repeated several times, the sidechain
> gives my polymer a net negative charge, when in real life the polymer is
> neutral.

An amide is neutral.  Your above atom list is missing H atoms, though:

CHn-C(=O)-NH2

For instance, Gln:

     CG    opls_136   -0.120     3
    HG1    opls_140    0.060     3
    HG2    opls_140    0.060     3
     CD    opls_235    0.500     4
    OE1    opls_236   -0.500     4
    NE2    opls_237   -0.760     5
   HE21    opls_240    0.380     5
   HE22    opls_240    0.380     5

Net neutral.

-Justin

> I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to just arbitrarily adjust the
> charges in the forcefield, but I don't understand why the forcefield
> charges work out this way unless the forcefield is flawed.
>
> Can I just slightly adjust the charges in the amide group to come out
> neutral. That seems... wrong.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629