[gmx-users] Protein-Ligand Covalent Bonds

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Aug 30 22:59:31 CEST 2015

On 8/30/15 4:17 PM, Jordan Wolfson wrote:
> Dear Gromacs Users,
>
> Hello, I am trying to model the folding of a protein with ligands
> covalently bound to the protein. However, there is no pdb file for the
> system I am trying to run. I have been trying to figure this out for a good
> while now and have come to the conclusion that the answer lies in the
> [bonds] section of the .top file for the system. I have ran the simulation
> with the ligands before, upon using VMD I found that the ligands were just
> sitting next to the protein unbound.
>
> In the [bonds] section of the .top file, how can I specify that the ligands
> are covalently bound? I have read the gromacs manual a number of times
> looking for the answer to no avail. At one point I thought it possible that
> the answer might have to do with the function column of the bonds section
> but I have not been able to find any literature explaining what that column
> means.

The only "literature" is going to be the GROMACS PDF manual.

In any case, this is not simply a matter of bonds.  There are other bonded
interactions (angles, dihedrals) and potentially 1-4 (pairs) to be dealt with.
The simplest and best way to do this is to follow
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Adding_a_Residue_to_a_Force_Field -
you have a covalent adduct to a residue.  Treat it as such.  You may have to
reparametrize some elements (charges, atom types, internal parameters) of that
residue as a consequence of the modification.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore