[gmx-users] DNA-protein complex - which force field to use?

Felipe Merino felipe.merino at mpi-dortmund.mpg.de
Mon Feb 2 10:57:00 CET 2015

Hi,

On 02/02/15 10:18, Erik Marklund wrote:

> On 2 Feb 2015, at 01:53, Jernej Zidar <jernej.zidar at gmail.com<mailto:jernej.zidar at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone!
>   I would like to study a DNA-protein complex. The protein part is
> composed of aminoacids covalently attached to the DNA bases. Which
> force field would you recommend? Based on recent experience I was
> thinking of using either OPLS-aa or CHARMM. OPLS-aa would be the
> prefered choice because it performs way better than CHARMM.
>
> At least for proteins that seems incorrect
> http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/ct2007814
The comparison here is with an old version of CHARMM. CHARMM36 is
supposed to be way better now. In any case, If you are working with DNA
the best choice seems to still be Amber-ff99sb with the bsc0 correction.
I would actually use something like Amber-ff99sb*-ildn-bsc0. All those
modifications are already available to be read in gromacs around.

Best

Felipe