[gmx-users] Cluster recommendations

Carsten Kutzner ckutzne at gwdg.de
Mon Feb 2 14:12:12 CET 2015

Hi David,

On 22 Jan 2015, at 18:01, David McGiven <davidmcgivenn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Karsten,
>
> Just another question. What do you think will be the performance difference
> between two gromacs runs with a ~100k atoms system like the one I mentioned
> on my first email :
>
> - 1 server with 4 AMD processors, 16 cores each (64 cores) with no GPU
> - 1 server with 4 AMD processors, 16 cores each (64 cores) with one GTX 980
> GPU
> - 1 server with 2 Intel processors, 10 cores each (20 cores) like the ones
> you mentioned, with one or two GTX 980 GPU.
>
> I'm not interested in exact performance numbers, I just need to understand
> the logistics behind the CPU/GPU combinations in order to make an
> inteligent cluster purchase.
I never benchmarked 64-core AMD nodes with GPUs. With a 80 k atoms test
system using a 2 fs time step I get
24 ns/d on 64 AMD   cores 6272
16 ns/d on 32 AMD   cores 6380
36 ns/d on 32 AMD   cores 6380   with 1x GTX 980
40 ns/d on 32 AMD   cores 6380   with 2x GTX 980
27 ns/d on 20 Intel cores 2680v2
52 ns/d on 20 Intel cores 2680v2 with 1x GTX 980
62 ns/d on 20 Intel cores 2680v2 with 2x GTX 980

So unless you can get the AMD nodes very cheap, probably the 20-core
Intel nodes with 1 or 2 GPUs will give you the best performance and the best
performance/price.

Best,
  Carsten