[gmx-users] Umbrella sampling restraining potential

Agnivo Gosai agnivogromacs14 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 01:56:52 CET 2015

Dear Users

The PMF generated by umbrella sampling of my system appears to be converged
and the calculated free energy of binding is close to that in published
literature.
I believe a necessary check for the convergence is the overlap and
smoothness of the histograms generated from sampling of the reaction
coordinate. Earlier I discussed in the forum regarding my histogram spacing
and smoothness.
Dr. Lemkul had then pointed out the rocky nature of many histograms and the
inadequate overlaps.

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.gromacs.user/74659

For my system there is no experimental study and I am resorting to trial
and error. My pull force constant is 1000 kJ/mol/nm^2 whereas the only
literature doing a MD study of my system ( with slightly different pulling
coordinates) uses a very high force constant of 12600 kJ/mol/nm^2 and they
have provided no explanation for this.

I have increased simulation time of my windows from 1 ns to 10 ns and I am
thinking of using a higher force constant in one half of my windows where
the pulled group is closer to the reference group and use a lesser
potential in the rest of the windows.
However I am declined to use the 12600 units of force constant as it is
very high and there is no validation. I found some literature using 1000 -
10,000 kJ/mol/nm^2 force constants for proteins.

Any suggestions please ?

Thanks & Regards
Agnivo Gosai
Grad Student, Iowa State University.