[gmx-users] Regarding DSSP

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 16 22:12:50 CET 2015

On 2/16/15 4:07 PM, HANNIBAL LECTER wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. Couple of things.
> I don't really know where to get older dssp binaries. I couldn't find them
> available for download in the dssp website.

http://swift.cmbi.ru.nl/gv/dssp/

Click on "Distributions" and at the bottom of that page, "DSSPold" is the old
version.

> I renamed the mkdssp binary to dssp so I am sure nothing is wrong out there
> when I export the binaries for utilization in gromacs.

Aside from the usual advice of making sure the binary is actually executable
(and actually runs, check with ./dssp -V for instance), there's little to go on
here.

-Justin

> On Feb 16, 2015 3:45 PM, "Justin Lemkul" <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 2/16/15 3:15 PM, HANNIBAL LECTER wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Justin. So as I mentioned, I am using Gromacs-4.5.6 and there is
>>> not
>>> a scope to specify using the -ver command in this particular version as
>>> opposed to the newer versions (5.0.4).
>>>
>>> By '....' I meant
>>>
>>> do_dssp -f prot.xtc -s prot.tpr.
>>>
>>> How do I specify a dssp version in gromacs-4.5.6?
>>>

>> I forget when the -ver flag was introduced.  Safe bet is if you're using
>> an ancient GROMACS version, you need a similarly ancient DSSP (version
>> 1.0.x).
>>
>>   Secondly, I did install Gromacs-5.0.4 for comparison, and I am using DSSP
>>> 2.0.4 again. This time I am using
>>>
>>> do_dssp -f prot.xtc -s prot.tpr -ver 2
>>>
>>> The output I am getting is shown below. Not sure what is going on.

>>> *There are 18 residues in your selected groupdssp cmd='/usr/bin/mkdssp -i
>>> ddJszHtZ -o ddRZ5pwg > /dev/null 2> /dev/null'Reading frame       0 time
>>>

>> My guess is that "mkdssp" is not actually the same thing as "dssp" - make
>> sure you've installed a real, functional dssp binary.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>>   0.000   Back Off! I just backed up ddJszHtZ to
>>> ./#ddJszHtZ.1#----------------------------------------------
>>> ---------Program
>>> do_dssp, VERSION 5.0.4Source code file:
>>> /home/apratim/Programs/gromacs-5.0.4/src/gromacs/gmxana/gmx_do_dssp.c,
>>> line: 670Fatal error:Failed to execute command: Try specifying your dssp
>>> version with the -ver option.For more information and tips for
>>> troubleshooting, please check the GROMACSwebsite at
>>> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors
>>> <http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors>---------
>>> ----------------------------------------------*
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences