[gmx-users] Regarding DSSP

HANNIBAL LECTER hanniballecter13 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 00:40:17 CET 2015

Okay. what can be possibly wrong? I mean if someone CAN run Gromacs-5.0.4 +
DSSP 2.0.4, it should be running in other systems as well unless I am
messing something up. So I list my steps.

1. Download the executable from
ftp://ftp.cmbi.ru.nl/pub/molbio/software/dssp-2/ (not the source code, but
just the binaries).

2. rename the file to dssp204
3. chmod +x dssp204
4. sudo mv dssp204 /usr/local/bin/
5. export DSSP=/usr/loca/bin/dssp204
6. do_dssp -f data/xtc/traj.xtc -s data/tpr/topol.tpr -ver 2

What can be possibly wrong?

The output is shown below:

*Reading file data/tpr/gly16_amber03w_nd0.tpr, VERSION 4.5.6 (single
precision)Reading file data/tpr/gly16_amber03w_nd0.tpr, VERSION 4.5.6
(single precision)Group     0 (         System) has 10901 elementsGroup
1 (        Protein) has   121 elementsGroup     2 (      Protein-H) has
68 elementsGroup     3 (        C-alpha) has    16 elementsGroup     4
(       Backbone) has    50 elementsGroup     5 (      MainChain) has    67
elementsGroup     6 (   MainChain+Cb) has    67 elementsGroup     7 (
MainChain+H) has    85 elementsGroup     8 (      SideChain) has    36
elementsGroup     9 (    SideChain-H) has     1 elementsGroup    10 (
Prot-Masses) has   121 elementsGroup    11 (    non-Protein) has 10780
elementsGroup    12 (          Other) has  2320 elementsGroup    13
(            RS1) has  2320 elementsGroup    14 (          Water) has  8460
elementsGroup    15 (            SOL) has  8460 elementsGroup    16 (
non-Water) has  2441 elementsSelect a group: 1Selected 1: 'Protein'There
are 18 residues in your selected groupdssp cmd='/usr/bin/dssp20464 -i
ddUkWy9e -o dd7htL6i > /dev/null 2> /dev/null'Reading frame       0 time
0.000   Back Off! I just backed up ddUkWy9e to
gmx, VERSION 5.0.4Source code file:
/home/apratim/Programs/gromacs-5.0.4/src/gromacs/gmxana/gmx_do_dssp.c,
line: 670Fatal error:Failed to execute command: Try specifying your dssp
version with the -ver option.For more information and tips for
troubleshooting, please check the GROMACSwebsite at
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors