[gmx-users] free energy calculation: combination of position restraint +refcoord_scaling cause crash during NPT

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Feb 18 13:42:41 CET 2015

On 2/17/15 12:31 PM, Jin Zhang wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We're doing free energy calculation and found some of my lambda job crashes
> due to the combination of position restraint +refcoord_scaling COM. All
> crashes happened at NPT steps.
>
> By checking each energy term, we found the Position Rest. term is
> surprisingly as high as 10^6 kJ/mol, the others look fine. Either turn of
> position restrain or refcoord_scaling could avoid the simulation to be
> crashed. We tried to see if there's mismatch of either COM or coordinate
> and found no direct answer.
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> In the tpr file
>        refcoord-scaling     = COM
>        posres-com (3):
>        posres-com[0]= 3.15034e-01
>        posres-com[1]= 4.48110e-01
>        posres-com[2]= 5.17730e-01
>
> COM of protein-ligand calculated by t_traj -com -ox
> 3.02422    4.30169    4.84964

If the reference COM is defined as (0.315,0.448,0.518) and your actual
coordinates are what you're shown above, there will inherently be a huge
restraint potential as mdrun tries to bias the coordinates towards the defined
reference.  I suspect something is wrong in your definition of your reference.

-Justin

> coordinate of 1st atom in tpr: posres_xA[    0]={ 1.39783e-01,
> -9.56922e-02,  1.22536e+00}
> coordinate of 1st atom in gro:     1MOL     C1    1   3.164   4.206
> 6.075
>
> The same thing was also found in a normal non-free energy simulations with
> combination of position restrain and refcoord-scaling.
> Later on, we found some other people also have the same problem when use
> that combination to do free energy calculation.
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.gromacs.user/66177
> It makes more sense to me to turn on refcoord_scaling while using position
> restraint.
> Again, any help to understand this would be appreciated!
>
> Regards,
> Jin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy