[gmx-users] DNA-Protein complex MD failing

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Feb 20 14:52:49 CET 2015

On 2/20/15 7:21 AM, virginia miguel wrote:
> Hi, Thanks for your reply, I am using  AMBER99SB-ILDN protein, nucleic AMBER94...about the settings, of that I am not certain since I took the parameters for a couple of papers and an example .mdp I found googling but not with the exact Amber force field. Then I modified it to use gpu so rvdw=rcoulomb. And thats my major concern, which are the correct values for these settings!.

Start with what's specified in dx.doi.org/10.1002/prot.22711

Beyond that, simplify the system.  Make sure the protein alone runs stably, the
DNA alone, etc.  It could be that your starting configuration is simply not
stable.  The general guidelines are in

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up

-Justin

> [...]
>> a smaller molecule you are decoupling during a free energy calculation.
>> Since interactions at distances beyond the table cannot be computed,
>> they are skipped until they are inside the table limit again. You will
>> only see this message once, even if it occurs for several interactions.
>>
>> IMPORTANT: This should not happen in a stable simulation, so there is
>> probably something wrong with your system. Only change the table-extension
>> distance in the mdp file if you are really sure that is the reason.
>>

>> ./rungromacs: line 10:  8006 Segmentation fault "
>>

>> I do notknow what the correct settings of .mpd ?I am using the following that resultsfroma a review I did of several works working with DNA and amber in gromacs. This is my md .mdp
>>    title = AMBER
>> define = -DFLEXIBLE
>
> Don't run dynamics with flexible water.
>
>> cpp = /usr/bin/cpp -traditional
>>
>> ; RUN CONTROL PARAMETERS
>>                      integrator = md
>> ; Start time and timestep in ps
>>                          tinit = 0
>>                              dt = 0.002
>>                        nsteps  = 100000
>>
>> ; mode for center of mass motion removal
>>                      comm-mode  = Linear
>> ; number of steps for center of mass motion removal
>>                        nstcomm  = 1
>> ; group(s) for center of mass motion removal
>>                      comm_grps  = system
>>

>> ; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS
>> ; Output frequency for coords (x), velocities (v) and forces (f)
>> nstxout                  = 5000
>> nstvout                  = 5000
>> nstfout                  = 5000
>>
>> ; Checkpointing helps you continue after crashes
>> nstcheckpoint            = 1000
>>
>> ; Output frequency for energies to log file and energy file
>> nstlog                  = 5000
>> nstenergy                = 5000
>>
>> ; Output frequency and precision for xtc file
>> nstxtcout                = 5000
>> xtc-precision            = 1000
>>
>> ; This selects the subset of atoms for the xtc file. You can
>> ; select multiple groups. By default all atoms will be written.
>> xtc_grps                = !SOL
>>
>> ; Selection of energy groups
>> energygrps              = !SOL SOL
>>
>> ; NEIGHBOR SEARCHING
>>                    nstlist = 10
>>                    ns_type = grid
>>                        pbc = xyz
>> ; nblist cut-off
>>                      rlist  = 1.2
>>
>> ; domain-decomposition    = no
>>

>> ; ELECTROSTATICS
>>                      rcoulomb = 1.0
>>                  coulombtype = PME
>> ; EWALD
>> fourierspacing            = 0.10
>> pme_order                  = 6
>> ewald_rtol                = 1e-5
>> optimize_fft              = yes
>>

>> ; VDW
>> vdwtype                    = switch
>> rvdw_switch                = 0.8
>> rvdw                      = 1.0
>>

> Are these nonbonded settings right?  They seem a bit random.  Which of the AMBER

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore