[gmx-users] Beyond the KALP15 in DPPC tutorial and doing analysis in GROMACS

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 24 00:27:49 CET 2015

On 2/23/15 6:13 PM, Thomas Lipscomb wrote:
> Dear gmx-users,
> I have finished the KALP15 in DPPC tutorial up to completing the molecular dynamics but not any of the analysis:http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/membrane_protein/09_analysis.html
>
> I made one change to the tutorial: using one maximin 3 molecule instead of one KALP15 molecule.
> I have bad lipid packing:"The topology says how many atoms the peptide has, but that's totally irrelevant.
>    You have large voids in your system; it's physical nonsense to have lipids
> randomly strewn about the system in between two layers of water, which will just
> diffuse into the vacuum space (if the simulation even runs)."

Hopefully you've sorted this out; what you built and showed before wasn't even
really a membrane.

> And the 1 nanosecond simulation time the tutorial recommends is fast but I heard that you need at least 30 nanoseconds to get good data.

Even 30 ns is short for a membrane system.

> So I need help with two things:
> One, is there a tutorial or documentation that gives basic information about how to do an analysis because even reading 09_analysis.html I do not know what to do.  The most important part of this is how to I take good pictures because those will go on my poster and in my thesis.
> Two, is there anything about the tutorial that I should change to give me better data when I repeat the tutorial, besides extending the simulation time beyond 1 nanosecond?

Be sure the force field is good.  Berger parameters are not as good as more
modern force fields, particularly CHARMM36.  The reason I did the tutorial the
way I did was because it is instructive in learning not just membrane protein
systems, but also how GROMACS organizes force fields.

The problem with the question you're asking is a common one - there is no such
thing as a recipe for analysis of any simulation.  Sure, there are common things
you'd check and make sure your outcome is sane, but the analysis is part of your
job as a scientist.  Why are you doing the simulations?  What's the hypothesis?
  What do you hope to accomplish or demonstrate?  This is the main reason I
don't delve into much analysis in my tutorials; it makes people think there are
formulas for "doing analysis."  My attitude is "less button-pushing, more
science" :)

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629