[gmx-users] NVIDIA GTX cards in Rackable servers, how do you do it ?

Harry Mark Greenblatt harry.greenblatt at weizmann.ac.il
Tue Feb 24 13:17:54 CET 2015

BS"D

Dear David,

  We did some tests with Gromacs and other programs on CPU's with core counts up to 16 per socket, and found that after about 12 cores jobs/threads begin to interfere with each other.  In other words there was a performace penalty when using core counts above 12.  I don't have the details in front of me, but you should  at the very least get a test machine and try running your simulations for short periods with 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 cores in use to see how Gromacs behaves with these processors (unless someone has done these tests, and can confirm that Gromacs has no issues with 16 or 18 core cpu's).

Harry