[gmx-users] Problem executing do_dssp in gromacs

Aarti rana ranaaarti.hp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 05:10:57 CET 2015

As suggested I followed the other threads too. I am writing down my exact
steps :

Downloaded the executable from the dssp site (dssp-2.0.4-amd64)
copied to my vaccine folder
renamed the file to dssp204
>chmod u=rwx dssp204
>sudo mv dssp204/usr/local/bin/
>export DSSP=/usr/local/bin/dssp204
>do_dssp -f next.xtc -s next.tpr -sc scount.xvg -o ss.xpm -ver 2

The program started running. But it's been 7 days and it's still running.
It seems there is some problem with the run.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 2/16/15 9:49 PM, Aarti rana wrote:
>
>> After issuing command as you asked:
>>
>>  echo $DSSP
>>> /usr/local/bin/dssp
>>>

>> And yes I downloaded the "dssp-2.0.4-linux-amd64
>> <ftp://ftp.cmbi.ru.nl/pub/software/dssp/dssp-2.0.4-linux-amd64>" file
>> from
>> dssp site.
>>

> Please see the other thread with this exact same issue as we have gone
> through a number of troubleshooting steps.
>
> -Justin
>

>> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:52 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> After looking at this a bit more closely for someone else who asked the
>>> same question, your clue is here:
>>>
>>> dssp cmd='/usr/local/bin/dssp -na dd31ZWbc ddI6at3a > /dev/null 2>
>>> /dev/null'
>>>
>>> For some reason your do_dssp command is triggering version 1 syntax.  A
>>> version 2 command should be something like:
>>>
>>> dssp cmd='/usr/local/bin/dssp -i ddYB5REk -o ddxi1TAx > /dev/null 2>
>>> /dev/null'
>>>
>>> Note the difference in -i/-o vs. -na.  This is the nature of the problem
>>> when dealing with different versions.  Somehow there's a disconnect
>>> between
>>> your DSSP version or the command you're telling us you're issuing.
>>>

>>> -Justin
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>>> Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow
>>>
>>> Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
>>> School of Pharmacy
>>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>>> 20 Penn St.
>>> Baltimore, MD 21201
>>>
>>> jalemkul at outerbanks.umaryland.edu | (410) 706-7441
>>> http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/~jalemkul

>>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>
> Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
> School of Pharmacy
> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
> University of Maryland, Baltimore
> 20 Penn St.
> Baltimore, MD 21201

> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

*Happy and Healthy mantra  of life :  Enjoy what you have now, stop
collecting luxuries of life, because an unsatisfied person cannot relish
the precious moments of life, stay happy, stay cool, keep smiling, stay
away from arguments and controversies.....*