[gmx-users] Obtaining PMF for change in domain position

Abhi Acharya abhi117acharya at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 18:48:56 CET 2015

Hello Gmx Users,

As suggested previously in this thread, I tried to use enforced rotations
on my system. First I calculated the amount of domain rotation and
translation required to obtain conformation 2 from conformation 1 using
'measure rotation' tool in chimera. I received an output as below:

  Matrix rotation and translation
    -0.96887254  -0.01658882  -0.24700365  59.55727674
     0.17648032  -0.74599360  -0.64214347  85.34692780
    -0.17361074  -0.66574646   0.72570032  11.00502990
  Axis  -0.11353457  -0.35303290   0.92869676     (Axis vector for rotation
)
  Axis point  28.32087779  46.35125870   0.00000000     (point on the axis)
  Rotation angle (degrees) 174.03353949
  Shift along axis -26.67174721  (in Angstroms)

For generating the windows for umbrella sampling, I used the pull code for
generating the translation and enforced rotations for the required rotation
simultaneously. For pull code I used the axis vector as the pull vector and
a pulling rate of -0.0002667 nm/ps for a 10 ns simulation. For enforced
rotations, I used the same Axis vector as the rotation vector and a
rotation rate of 0.0174 deg/ps.  I have provided the relevant parameter
sections from the .mdp file below.

Although I can see the expected movement of the domain of interest, but in
the final conformation it fails to reach the intended final position; falls
short by ~21 Angstroms. Visual analysis revealed that although the domain
rotated correctly, the translation of the domain did not work effectively,
so I suspect the pull code didn't work as I expected. What could be the
possible reasons for such a behavior ? Maybe I am doing some thing wrong.

The link to image containing the superposition of the initial, final
obtained and final expected conformations is provided in the link for
reference.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fnhpfq7zmzw1d5/image.jpg?dl=0

The .mdp portion is as follows:

; COM PULLING
; Pull type: no, umbrella, constraint or constant-force
pull                     = umbrella
; Pull geometry: distance, direction, cylinder or position
pull_geometry            = direction
; Select components for the pull vector. default: Y Y Y
pull_dim                 = Y Y Y
; Cylinder radius for dynamic reaction force groups (nm)
pull_r1                  = 1
; Switch from r1 to r0 in case of dynamic reaction force
pull_r0                  = 1.5
pull_constr_tol          = 1e-06
pull_start               = no
pull_nstxout             = 10
pull_nstfout             = 1
; Number of pull groups
pull_ngroups             = 1
; Group name, weight (default all 1), vector, init, rate (nm/ps),
kJ/(mol*nm^2)
pull_group0              = KH-domain
pull_weights0            =
pull_pbcatom0            = 0
pull_group1              = GD-domain
pull_weights1            =
pull_pbcatom1            = 0
pull_vec1                = -0.11353457 -0.35303290 0.92869676
pull_init1               = 0.0
pull_rate1               = -0.0002667
pull_k1                  = 1000
pull_kB1                 = 1000

; ENFORCED ROTATION
; Enforced rotation: No or Yes
rotation                 = Yes
; Output frequency for angle, torque and rotation potential energy for the
whole group
rot_nstrout              = 100
; Output frequency for per-slab data (angles, torques and slab centers)
rot_nstsout              = 1000
; Number of rotation groups
rot_ngroups              = 1
; Rotation group name
rot_group0               = GD-C-alpha
; Rotation potential. Can be iso, iso-pf, pm, pm-pf, rm, rm-pf, rm2,
rm2-pf, flex, flex-t, flex2, flex2-t
rot_type0                = flex
; Use mass-weighting of the rotation group positions
rot_massw0               = no
; Rotation vector, will get normalized
rot_vec0                 = -0.11353457 -0.35303290 0.92869676
; Pivot point for the potentials iso, pm, rm, and rm2 (nm)
rot_pivot0               = 2.832087779  4.635125870   0.00000000
; Rotation rate (degree/ps) and force constant (kJ/(mol*nm^2))
rot_rate0                = -0.0174
rot_k0                   = 400
; Slab distance for flexible axis rotation (nm)
rot_slab_dist0           = 1.5
; Minimum value of Gaussian function for the force to be evaluated (for
flex* potentials)
rot_min_gauss0           = 0.001
; Value of additive constant epsilon' (nm^2) for rm2* and flex2* potentials
rot_eps0                 = 0
; Fitting method to determine angle of rotation group (rmsd, norm, or
potential)
rot_fit_method0          = norm
; For fit type 'potential', nr. of angles around the reference for which
the pot. is evaluated
rot_potfit_nsteps0       = 21
; For fit type 'potential', distance in degrees between two consecutive
angles
rot_potfit_step0         = 0.25

Thanks in advance.

Abhishek Acharya