[gmx-users] How to introduce Mg2+ ions to system that are necessary for nucleotide co-enzymes?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jan 6 14:46:10 CET 2015

On 1/6/15 8:25 AM, Hassan Aaryapour wrote:
> Dear Gromacs Users
>
> I want to do an unguided molecular dynamics simulations (500ns) with GTP or
> GDP ligands that place at a random location within a simulation box that
> also contained my kinase protein. How can I add or introduce Mg2+ ions to
> system that are necessary for GTP or GDP ligands? How much Mg2+ is required
> for GTP or GDP molecules in a cubic box with -d 1.0???

So you're hoping to observe unbiased binding of GTP/GDP and Mg2+ to the enzyme
active/binding site?  If that's the case, then the binding stoichiometry tells
you how many of each species you need.

> Is it logical I add ions to a system with -8.99999 net charge using command
> below?
>
> # gmx genion -s ions.tpr -o conf-ion.pdb -p topol.top -pname MG –np 4
> -pname NA -np 1 -nname CL

No, this is an invalid command since you have multiple -pname (which you will
see if you actually run the command...)  Add the number of Mg2+ that you need
(see above), then neutralize and/or add some relevant concentration of NaCl in a
second step.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629