[gmx-users] There is a dangling bond at at least one of the terminal ends and the force field does not provide terminal entries or files

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 08:22:11 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 3:05 AM, sang eun jee <sangeunjee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
> I have an error message from the gromacs system when I used pdb2gmx.
> "There is a dangling bond at at least one of the terminal ends and the
> force field does not provide terminal entries or files.Fix your terminal
> residues so that they match the residue database (.rtp) entries, or provide
> terminal database entries (.tdb)."
>
> Simulation structure is collagen, triple helix of (GLY-PRO-HYP)12 built
> from TheBuScr program. N-termini is Glycine with N without H and C-termini
> is HYP(COO).  TIP3P and AMBER99SB-ILDN protein with F3C Added, nucleic
> AMBER94 (Lindorff-Larsen et al., Proteins 78, 1950-58, 2010) forcefield
> were used.
>
> I expected pdb2gmx add hydrogen atoms to form NH2 and COOH for termini, but
> got an error message.

Thanks for the comprehensive description.

AMBER force fields generally include only ionic termini and capping groups,
so
that particular expectation isn't reasonable.

> Do I need to edit aminoacids.n.tdp and aminoacids.c.tdp? Or should I change
> the name of the Glycine termini in the *.pdb file from GLY to NGLY and HYP

I forget whether that is necessary, but it might help.

> to CHYP? But there is no CHYP forcefield is provided in this amber
> forcefield.

Welcome to the jungle :-) You could look around at other RES->CRES
differences and decide whether you feel safe parametrizing by analogy, or
you could parametrize CHYP, or you could build on an NME capping group (or
similar).

Mark

I attached full error messages.