[gmx-users] "invalid order for directive atomtypes", but only one ligand

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jan 8 13:56:47 CET 2015

On 1/8/15 7:52 AM, Justin Lemkul wrote:

> On 1/7/15 4:19 PM, Jonathan Saboury wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm getting an error when running grompp, "invalid order for directive
>> atomtypes".
>>
>> I used to get this error whenever there were two or more additional .itp's
>> for ligands. This would be fixed by adding the [atomtypes] together and
>> deleting dupicates.
>>
>> This case however there is only one ligand I am adding, so no idea where I
>> should concatenate the [atomtypes].
>>
>> Getting error:
>> ---
>> Fatal error: Syntax error - File biotin_GMX.itp, line 3
>> Last line read: '[ atomtypes ]'
>> Invalid order for directive atomtypes
>> ---
>>
>> Commands: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=FWA2W2Dd
>>
>> Zip of all files (2.7MB): http://ge.tt/35Gex882/v/0
>>

> You haven't provided system.top, which is where the problem would become
> evident.  There's nothing wrong with biotin_GMX.itp itself, but however it is
> being #included in system.top must be wrong.  A ligand that introduces new
> [atomtypes] must be #included after the parent force field, and prior to any
> [moleculetype] definition.  Force field-level directives must all appear before
> any molecule-level directives.

Correction - system.top is there, I just missed it because your .zip archive
flooded my directory with stuff.  Please never upload a flat archive like that;
always put files in a single directory and compress that...it's annoying for
people trying to help you to have to clean up afterwards.

The #include statement is simply in the wrong place, as I suspected.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore