[gmx-users] potential energy

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jan 10 22:01:58 CET 2015

On 1/10/15 3:52 PM, mah maz wrote:
> Dear all,
> I wanted to know if the potential energy gained by "g_energy -f ener.edr
> -o" the total potential energy of the system or partial ones like vdw
> energy. If it is the total energy, to my knowledge it should be negative,

It's the full potential energy.  Various components are also printed out to the
various energy terms printed by g_energy.

> and its summation with the kinetic energy should be negative showing the
> stability of the system. In my simulation, potential energy is positive and
> the total energy is a big positive number, but no explosion happened. What
> is the problem?

That depends entirely upon what your system is.  A negative potential is
generally expected for most condensed-phase systems, in which attractive
nonbonded interactions dominate over repulsive terms.  But the energy of a given
system is entirely dependent upon what the system is.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore