[gmx-users] Net charge error

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Jan 11 16:26:53 CET 2015

On 1/11/15 10:23 AM, Siddhesh Kamat wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>   I am working on a monoprotic Napthenic acid(a simple straight chain one
> C29H59COOH). I made the .itp file and used PRODRG for the .gro file. I am
> unable to energy minimise the system after adding TIP4P water. The error I
> am getting is 'net charge is non zero and the number it gives is about
> 453(it gives a decimal actually). I have thoroughly checked the .itp and

Please copy and paste the exact error message from the terminal.

> .top files. The number that GROMACS gives is actually very close to the
> total mass of the system. I am using GROMACS version 5.04 and I am

So did you perhaps invert the mass and charge columns in the topology?

> relatively pretty new to GROMACS. Please suggest what may be the possible
> problem.

If you can provide a link to download your topology, that would help.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore