[gmx-users] Fwd: Net charge error

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jan 12 00:24:22 CET 2015

On 1/11/15 11:08 AM, Siddhesh Kamat wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> links to attchments:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B83MUXW1ifjQLVJoalhNR1FRczg/view?usp=sharing
> ( itp file)

Your topology format is wrong.  You don't have a residue name column:

; nr     type       resnr  atom   cgnr  charge     mass      typeB    chargeB
    massB
   1    opls_135    1        C       1   -0.18     12.011

The residue name comes between residue number and atom name.

I'm surprised grompp even reads the topology, but the net effect is as I
suspected - the mass column is interpreted as charge, hence the error you see.

-Justin

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B83MUXW1ifjQcWR5Ny1UczZxMUk/view?usp=sharing
> (top file)
> Regards,
> Siddhesh Kamat
>
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 11:00 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 1/11/15 10:57 AM, Siddhesh Kamat wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>> Thanks for the prompt reply. I have attached the .itp and .top files of
>>> MPNA(monoprotic napthenic acid). This is the error I get on energy
>>> minimisation:
>>>

>> The mailing list does not accept attachments.  That's why I said provide a
>> link for a download.  Post the files somewhere and send the URL.
>>

>>   command line
>>> gmx grompp -f minim.mdp -c MPNA_solv.gro -p topol.top -o em.tpr
>>>

>>> Back Off! I just backed up mdout.mdp to ./#mdout.mdp.14#
>>>
>>> NOTE 1 [file minim.mdp]:
>>>     With Verlet lists the optimal nstlist is >= 10, with GPUs >= 20. Note
>>>     that with the Verlet scheme, nstlist has no effect on the accuracy of
>>>     your simulation.
>>>
>>> Setting the LD random seed to 2203031122
>>> Generated 331705 of the 331705 non-bonded parameter combinations
>>> Generating 1-4 interactions: fudge = 0.5
>>> Generated 331705 of the 331705 1-4 parameter combinations
>>> Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'MPNA'
>>> Excluding 2 bonded neighbours molecule type 'SOL'
>>>
>>> NOTE 2 [file topol.top, line 20]:
>>>     System has non-zero total charge: 452.808792
>>>     Total charge should normally be an integer. See
>>>     http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Floating_Point_Arithmetic
>>>     for discussion on how close it should be to an integer.

>>> Program gmx, VERSION 5.0.2
>>> Source code file:
>>> /home/canales/gromacs-5.0.2/src/gromacs/gmxpreprocess/grompp.c, line: 603
>>>
>>> Fatal error:
>>> number of coordinates in coordinate file (MPNA_solv.gro, 4883)
>>>                does not match topology (topol.top, 4884)
>>>

>> Be sure your protonation state matches between coordinates and topology.
>>

>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences