[gmx-users] Infinite cutoffs with periodic boundary condition

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 18:58:02 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 11:53 AM, 이종화(Jong Wha Lee) <jongwha12 at postech.ac.kr
> wrote:

> Dear Gromacs users,
>

> Hello everyone. I am currently trying to simulate a molecule in carbon
> dioxide gas. To maintain carbon dioxide near my molecule of interest at a
> well-defined pressure, it was necessary to apply periodic boundary
> condition. Then, I tried to apply infinite cutoffs (calculate all
> interactions) as this would be more accurate with small increase in the
> computational costs,

... maybe... if you were running in a non-periodic vacuum, which you aren't.

> considering that I am simulating the gas phase with
> small number of atoms.

Periodic => infinite number of atoms.

> However, I found that it was not possible to give infinite cutoffs with
> periodic boundary condition. Consequently, I decided to use a very large
> cutoff (20 nm)

OK, but now it's on your head to prove that your choice of model physics is
a good representation of reality. If you want a full representation, that's
why Gromacs has PME implementations (for Coulomb and VdW).

and update neighbor list every step to minimize possible
> errors from simulation. But this resulted in high computational cost. Could
> you suggest any more efficient and accurate methods that I could try?

Just like simulations of condensed-phase systems, you want a buffered
neighbourlist with a suitable update frequency. This is all done for you in
the Verlet cutoff scheme, but you are using the group cutoff scheme (so
don't do that).

Mark