[gmx-users] tabulated non-bonded potentials with replica exchange (potentials that change with temperature)

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 11:13:56 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 12:39 AM, Christopher Neale <
chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Dear Users:
>
> I presume that I can use tabulated non-bonded potentials with replica
> exchange in gromacs 4.6.7.

Indeed, I can think of no reason why not (modulo that there's only support
for those in the group scheme).

> However, my question is whether it is possible to supply different tables
> for each of the different temperatures?

Can't think of a reason why or why not. I would be more hopeful of the
mdrun -multidir implementation (because that basically does a "cd" at the
start of mdrun, so it doesn't need all the table filenames to have been
suffixed correctly, they just need you to organize them correctly).

> My actual use involves the plumed plugin to do hamiltonian replica
> exchange. With that patch it is possible to modify the .tpr files for each
> ensemble prionr to calling mdrun and have gromacs mdrun compute exchange
> energies properly. However, since tables are sent to mdrun directly from
> the command line, rather than through the .tpr file, my guess is that there
> is no way to load in a separate tabulated potential for each ensemble.

Embedding table files in the .tpr is on the to-do list for implementing
tables in the Verlet scheme.

Mark