[gmx-users] Error in Topology file

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jan 22 00:13:37 CET 2015

On 1/21/15 7:59 AM, Rajan Kumar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to study wetting of water on Graphene oxide(GO). My
> structure has functional group in form of Hydroxyl and epoxide group
> on one side of the Graphene sheet. Also I have added water
> molecules in form of spherical droplet on the same side of the sheet.
>
> I used the following commands to generate .gro and  topology file.
>
> editconf -f GO.pdb -o conf.gro -box 3 3 3 -angles 90 90 90
>
> g_x2top -f conf.gro -o topol.top -ff oplsaa_GO
>

> My topology file is generated, but it show that there is a overall
> charge in the system, which I didn't expect.
> All files can be accessed at
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rtxg36y4pv2zwto/AADoQ_Y239XuSXK7-_4PNGJ_a?dl=0
>
> So,I opened my topology file and I see
>
> 328   opls_116      2    SOL     OW    328      -0.82     15.999   ; qtot -0.82
> 329   opls_168      2    SOL    HW1    328          0      1.008   ; qtot -0.82
> 330   opls_168      2    SOL    HW2    328          0      1.008   ; qtot -0.82
>
> I have two different type of hydrogen in my .atp file, one for 'OH' on
> Graphene and other for water molecule. I have also specified their
> separate connectivity and chrages in .n2t file.
> However, from my topology file, I see that only one type of hydrogen
> atom (i.e. one corresponding to 'OH' of graphene, which doesn't have
> any charge) is present in topology file, due to which there is overall
> charge on the system.
>
> Any idea why this might be happening?

You have two lines that conflict:

H    opls_168    0.000  1.0080  1    O 0.096
H    opls_117    0.410  1.0080  1    O 0.100

g_x2top can't distinguish between the two (since both reference distances
overlap, within the ± 10% criterion), so it picks the first that it finds.
Hence your waters get messed up.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629