[gmx-users] using pull_geometry=cylinder for asymmetric pull-molecule

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jan 26 13:55:44 CET 2015

On 1/26/15 4:37 AM, Alexandra Antipina wrote:
> Hello,users!
>
> I have a little question. I want to do PMF for system, where double helix DNA
> (its length approximately is 4 nm) is pulled to the lipid bilayer (its area
> approximately is 6nmX6nm). Molecule DNA is placed in parallel to the bilayer. It
> is known that in case lipid bilayer for the better to use
> pull-geometry=cylinder. My question is: This is correct use
> pull-geometry=cylinder,where pull molecule is long and asymmetric?
>
> Do I understand correctly that the only role of pull-geometry=cylinder to set
> accurate the reference group mass center?

If you're just studying the binding of DNA to a bilayer, you don't need cylinder
geometry.  The cylinder geometry is only really useful when there is a specific
microenvironment of interest from which the restraints are based.  Note the
example in the manual is the extraction of a lipid from the bilayer, another
might be passage of a molecule/ion through a membrane protein.  Binding of DNA
to a membrane wouldn't require anything like this unless there is a specific
microdomain/lipid cluster that is of interest.  If the membrane is homogeneous,
you definitely don't need this.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629