[gmx-users] coordinates file format

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 10:32:26 CET 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:01 AM, mah maz <mahmaz71 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Justin and Mark,
>
> I think you are both right.
>
> I didn't get your last sentence Mark! What is a libxdrfile?

Ask google ;-) It's a library distributed from the GROMACS website to make
it easier to read files into C and (particularly) Fortran programs.

> Justin, The problem is I have so many atoms in the system. As I said the
> best format for reading data is to be like this:
> time     x1 y1 z1     x2 y2 z2   ....... xn yn zn
> 0          1 2 3           2 3 4               8 5 6
> 0.1
> 0.2
> as you know the trajectory format is like this:
>
> (t=)0      x1 y1 z1  x2 y2 z2   x3 y3 z3  x4 y4 z4.......
> x5 y5 z5   ......... x4000 y4000 z4000
> (t=)0.1   x1 y1 z1  x2 y2 z2..............
> x5 y5 z5  ....... x4000 y4000 z40000
> completely difficult and confusing for me and the program both!

The following pseudocode reads both, because they're the same thing!

ignore_useless_title_row_if_present()
for frame (1 .. end of file)
  frametime[frame] = read_next_number()
  for atom (1 .. number_of_atoms)
    for dim (x y z)
       framecoords[atom][dim] = read_next_number()

The field widths are fixed, so this probably even works in Fortran.

According to your points, I can come to the conclusion that changing the
> file format is not possible.

It's perfectly possible to write a script to transform it to whatever you
like. But that would serve no useful purpose.

Mark