[gmx-users] PCA projections using g_anaeig

Antonio Baptista baptista at itqb.unl.pt
Wed Jan 28 20:51:47 CET 2015

Hi James,

Yes, but all you need are the 1D projections, since they are the
coordinates in the PCA reference frame. So, just combine them in any way
you want, as Tsjerk indicated. Also, keep in mind that there is actually
no transformation of the conformation space when you do PCA, just a
rotation of the coordinate axes.

But beware of 2D projections alone -- two different 3D distributions can
give *exactly* the same 1-vs-2, 1-vs-3 and 2-vs-3 projections! So, if you
want to get a better understanding of your distribution (as seems to be
the case) try also to look at least at the 3D projection 1-vs-2-vs-3. For
more dimensions you cannot simply "look", of course... :) And be skeptical
about the basins you see in 2D PCA maps, since each of them typically have
many disparate conformations lumped together. You may want to look at
http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp902991u

Best,
Antonio