[gmx-users] Questions about the topology file format

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 3 19:58:23 CEST 2015

On 6/3/15 1:55 PM, Ebert Maximilian wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have two quick questions about the topology file format which I couldn’t find in the documentary. The semi-colon is giving me some headache. Is it always a comment which is written after?
>
> First:
>
> [ atoms ]
> ;   nr  type  resi  res  atom  cgnr     charge      mass       ; qtot   bond_type
>       1 opls_135     1   IPA    C1    1    -0.111600     12.01100 ; qtot -0.112  CT
>
> is qtot and CT used for anything and is it interpreted since it is after the ;

Everything after ; is ignored.

> Second:
>
> [ bonds ]
> ;   ai     aj funct   r             k
>       1      2   1 ;    1.5350e-01    2.5363e+05 ;     C1 - C2         CT - CT
>
> are the values for r and k here used since they are after the ; and what is C1-C2 and CT-CT used for and why another ;?

Not used for anything.  Whatever software you used to produce the topology
annotated it for whatever reason that the programmer decided was useful and in
whatever manner he/she liked.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629