[gmx-users] on the gmx solvate command

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 4 13:42:59 CEST 2015

On 6/4/15 4:09 AM, Brett wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> Before I neutralize my system with the genion command, I solvate it  with the gmx solvate command, it writes, "System total charge: 0.00". But the pdb2gmx step clearly indicate the systemp has -62 negative charges.
>

> Will you please explain to me why the gmx solvate step can show the system as without charge?

Because solvate reads in coordinates (which have no topological information).
It uses the topology only to update it with the number of water molecules it
adds, nothing else.  Tools that are knowledgeable about the topology (pdb2gmx,
genion, grompp) can determine and correctly report the net charge.  Technically
solvate can read in a .tpr, in which case it would know the correct charge.
That output should probably just be disabled in the case of a plain coordinate
file, but it's a minor thing.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629