[gmx-users] temperature problem

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jun 5 18:58:46 CEST 2015

On 6/5/15 8:09 AM, Lovika Moudgil wrote:
> Hi Justin... Yes I agree my system is behaving absurdly . But I am
> wondering why !!I have done minimization without any error ..here is the
> result ...
> Steepest Descents converged to Fmax < 1000 in 1004 steps
> Potential Energy  = -9.6667906e+05
> Maximum force     =  9.7920349e+02 on atom 796
> Norm of force     =  1.7943926e+01
> ... I have One gold slab ...with golp parameters ..and amino acid on it
> ...in box with water and Na , Cl ions ....Freezing is for gold  only....

So simplify the system - remove the gold layer and see if the remainder works,
do a system of water + gold, etc.  Your system is more complex than you're
likely giving it credit for.  Break it down - be scientific!

> System is not that big . And thing is temperature remain at the value (that
> is 300K)  for few time after some time it start behaving weird . If system
> is wrong why its working even for one step ??

Probably because the starting configuration is fine, but the trajectory evolves
in such a way that it produces unreasonable physics.  Freezing is a pretty
severe perturbation.  Investigate the validity of the force field.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore