[gmx-users] gmx distance

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 9 13:41:36 CEST 2015

On 6/9/15 4:08 AM, Ming Tang wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> I have invited you to share the dist.xvg, please help to have a look. I
> cannot understand why does the distance between two ends start at around
> -4nm. In distance.mdp, I set pull rate to be 0.001nm/ps. After pulling 30ns,
> the COM distance should increase 30nm. Am I right? But the length of the

No, this is not right.  This means that the displacement of the spring is 30 nm
in that time.  It does *not* mean that the net displacement imposed on the
pulled coordinates is also 30 nm.  There are restoring forces within the protein
structure that resist the applied force.  The spring will continue to pull until
the pulling force overcomes the restoring force and induces displacement in the
protein.

> helix aslo shows only a 15nm increase (see len-ahx.xvg). Another thing is,
> why does the length of the helix jump from 5ns to 10ns?  I found that the
> pullf.xvg records the force for every step, making it too large to be
> processed by excel. Is there any method that I can use to extract the pull
> force with specific time interval like using gmx distance -dt to get
> distance?

Don't box yourself in by relying on such programs.  Pick up any simple scripting
language (Perl, Python, etc) and learn to use it.  Your life will be much easier.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore