[gmx-users] Different Cv and Cp

Michael Shirts mrshirts at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 17:29:29 CEST 2015

If the simulation are generating configurations with the Boltzmann
probability distribution, the results should the same up to error.

Cv and Cp should not be exactly the same, though for liquids at room
temperature, they are pretty close (look up the precise numbers for the
fluid you are interested in).

Are you calculating enthalpy as U + PV, where P is the constant APPLIED
pressure, not the instantaneous pressure, and PV is in same units?  Since
the PV term should be quite low for liquids, the two heat capacities should
be relatively close (within noise -- fluctuation based calculations I think
are noisier).

Else you need to check if the Boltzmann distributions are being correctly
generated: See the code and paper describing it linked here:
https://github.com/shirtsgroup/checkensemble