[gmx-users] Explicit Hydrogen LJ param

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 16 13:31:29 CEST 2015

On 6/15/15 11:57 AM, Marcelo Depólo wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> It might be a silly question, but I am wondering why explicit hydrogens do
> not have LJ parameters in Gromos forcefields (they are set 0), while HC
> hydrogens (aromatic) has some value:
>
> ;name at.num mass    charge ptype       c6           c12
>     HC    1      0.000      0.000     A   8.464e-05  1.5129e-08
>       H    1      0.000      0.000     A           0           0

In theory, the force field can be parametrized in any way that reproduces the
target data.  It seems to be GROMOS convention to parametrize the heavy atom in
the polar group to have LJ parameters that account for the attached H; the
remainder of the interactions are electrostatic, which will dominate in such
cases, anyway.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629