[gmx-users] gas phase force field

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jun 22 14:56:08 CEST 2015

On 6/22/15 8:47 AM, V.V.Chaban wrote:
> Not all organics is polar, Justin. :-)

Obviously.

> Hydrogen bond length, and hence, energy are well limited by sigma in
> LJ. Even if dipole moments are overestimated by 20%, this should not
> lead to a proportional increase in the hydrogen bond strength.

Actually, it can and does.  I used a specific example that we know quite well.
Overestimation of dipole moments in vicinal alcohols depresses the gas-phase
energy leading to incorrect dHvap.  This is a trend in additive force fields,
and we consistently see failures of additive models to respond to different
conditions as we develop our polarizable force fields (which correctly reproduce
both gas and liquid phase properties).  Most force fields are geared towards
condensed phase properties.  Of course not all models reflect the same
properties, but one needs to carefully evaluate the proper behavior in the gas
phase based on available data.  Additive models are generally incapable of
responding to both gas and liquid states.

-Justin

> On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 9:52 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>> On 6/21/15 9:07 AM, V.V.Chaban wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, any existing field, since all of them -- to this or that
>>> extent -- were cteated under cluster-in-vacuum' approach.
>>>

>> While most biomolecular force fields have their origins in gas-phase QM,
>> most ultimately target condensed-phase properties.  Additive force fields
>> thus must overestimate gas-phase dipole moments on the order of ~20% or more
>> to capture proper liquid-phase properties.  This is a reason why one will
>> see overly strong intramolecular hydrogen bonding in polyols, etc.
>>
>> -Justin

>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy