[gmx-users] Does Gromacs take advantage of ECC memory?

Andrew DeYoung adeyoung at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jun 23 17:35:45 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm looking into a workstation which I will use to run some Gromacs
simulations.  I'm a chemist, not a computer person, so I'm not very
well-versed in computer hardware.  I have the option of getting non-ECC or
ECC memory, with the ECC being at extra cost.  In asking around about
whether I need ECC, I've been advised to "research your simulation apps
and see if they can take advantage of ECC."

I don't see ECC mentioned in the manual.  Does Gromacs take advantage of
ECC?  The simulations I will be running will not be terribly large: on the
order of ~10,000 atoms for a few tens of ns.  My system will likely have 8
cores.

Thanks so much for your time.

Andrew DeYoung
Carnegie Mellon University