[gmx-users] constraint pull code / gromacs 5.0.4

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 23 22:30:53 CEST 2015

On 6/23/15 4:28 PM, Alex wrote:

>> It's dangerous to make broad generalizations like "constraints should be
>> deprecated."  Sometimes constraints are not appropriate (materials,
>> crystals, etc).  But for the vast majority of biomolecular simulations, we
>> really don't care about different vibrational states of bonds involving H,
>> so there's zero purpose to running our simulations 4x slower just to
>> collect information we don't need :)
>>

>> Here he is. :) My not entirely serious comment aside (and not to hijack
> the thread), how is the analytical calculation of forces in harmonic
> springs computationally heavier than something like SHAKE or LINCS? Are you
> guys doing something algorithmically superfancy with LINCS? I recall
> implementing both SHAKE and LINCS and for the life of me can't see where
> the x4 factor comes from.

It has nothing to do with the computational cost of bonds vs. constraints; it's
the time step.  Without constraints, dt = 0.5 fs (maybe 1.0 fs if you're lucky)
and with constraints (I don't care which algorithm, but LINCS is generally more
stable), dt = 2.0 fs.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629