[gmx-users] pH

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jun 29 17:08:31 CEST 2015

On 6/29/15 11:04 AM, Atila Petrosian wrote:
> Dear Erik
>
> Thanks for your reply,
>
> I have another question. By default, Gromacs considers physiological pH
> value (7), am I right?
>
> Based on experimental data, my project should do under the asidic pH (2).
>
> You mentioned to pka. Should I use henderson hasselbalch equation?
>
> pH = Pka + log ([A-]/[HA]) for acids
> pH = Pka + log ([B]/[BH+]) for bases
>
> For amino acid Lysine (K) with pka = 10.53 ~ 11
> for side chain (for simplicity, I rounded the value),
>
> 2 = 11 + log ([B]/[BH+]) ===> [BH+] = (anti log 9) [B]
>
> Thus, when I use following command
>
> pdb2gmx -f *.pdb -lys
>
> gromacs ask me:
>
> Which LYSINE type do you want for residue 14
> 0. Not protonated (charge 0) (LYN)
> 1. Protonated (charge +1) (LYS)
>
> I select 1 (Protonated)
>
> Is my rationalization true?
>
> and for amino acid Aspartic acid (ASP) with pka = 3.86 ~ 4
> for side chain (for simplicity, I rounded the value),
>
> 2 = 4 + log ([A-]/[HA]) ===> [HA] = (antilog 2) [A-]
>
> Thus, when I use following command
>
> pdb2gmx -f *.pdb -asp
>
> gromacs ask me:
>
> Which ASPARTIC ACID type do you want for residue 18
> 0. Not protonated (charge -1) (ASP)
> 1. Protonated (charge 0) (ASH)
>
> I select 1 (Protonated)
>
> Is my rationalization true?
>
> If I am wrong, please guide me.

The microenvironment of an individual residue can significantly alter the pKa
away from its canonial value.  In some enzymes, catalytic Lys is in a
hydrophobic pocket with a pKa of approximately 4!  One needs to do thorough
calculations of what the pKa values should be in a given protein.  There are
many programs, servers, etc that do this.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore