[gmx-users] umbrella sampling and PMF calculation by using pull-geometry=direction in gromacs 5.0.4

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Sun May 3 14:34:52 CEST 2015

Take a look at profiles in the literature for arginine across a bilayer. It has a maximum at the center. Probably true for any molecule with a large charge/molecular weight ratio. For more help you'd likely have to reveal your system and provide an image of the PMF. However, there is no reason to think that you've got a problem unless you're working with a small hydrophobic molecule (in which case the dG should almost certainly be the inverse of what you see). One test you can do is to compare the free energy of solvation of your molecule in water and octane using the double-decoupling method.

Chris.