[gmx-users] umbrella sampling and PMF calculation by using pull-geometry=direction in gromacs 5.0.4

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Tue May 5 13:13:59 CEST 2015

I see your confusion now.

The PMF is actually defined as dG(x) + C, where C is some unknown constant. Therefore, in the left figure, you have "dG_a(x) + C_a" and on the right you have "dG_b(x) + C_b", so if the profiles have the same shape then the PMFs can be identical if C_a is different from C_b. Subtract 80 from all y-values in the left plot and it will look more like the right plot. For some reason, your WHAM program has placed the minimum at zero in one plot and the maximum at zero in the other plot. I'm guessing the value at minimum x gets set to zero.

Chris.