[gmx-users] question about g_sas

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Wed May 6 06:23:56 CEST 2015

This is actually kind of unfortunate. I'm not sure where these gromacs VDW radii come from, but they're nowhere near what I presume to be the standards (either Bondi et al. or something similar). Note that even the recent updates to the Bondi values are very minor in comparison to the differences to the gromacs vdwradii.dat values.

I don't know if vdwradii.dat has been updated recently, but my version of vdwradii.dat contains the text:

; Very approximate VanderWaals radii
; only used for drawing atoms as balls or for calculating atomic overlap.

which is quite wrong if they are also used for computing SASA. Looks to me like something that was originally devised as a quick hack for genbox (where precise radii don't matter as much) is being used in code where radii actually matter quite a bit.

Chris.