[gmx-users] mdrun error: There is no domain decomposition for x nodes that is compatible with the given box

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 6 13:41:04 CEST 2015

On 5/6/15 7:26 AM, Mark Abraham wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 9:01 AM Seyed Mojtaba Rezaei Sani <
> s.m.rezaeisani at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Justin
>>
>> Thanks for your kind response. I didn't notice the point you mentioned. It
>> seems that grompp doesn't care the difference betwen vdwq and vdw-q.
>> however, I corrected the script. The error remains even in the case of
>> choosing 2 nodes. The only way to have a successful run is a serial
>> calculation.
>

> Then that's life (except that if your protein is non-spheroidal, you might
> have better luck with the long axis aligned to the z-axis).
>
> The domain decomposition code expects bonded interactions to be of shorter
> range than short-ranged non-bonded interactions, so will not produce a
> decomposition that has a bonded interaction that starts in one domain,
> crosses another domain, leaves by the opposite face, and reaches a third
> domain. This is implemented by setting a minimum size for domains based on
> many properties of the observed starting structure. There's a brief summary
> of these choices printed in every .log file.
>
> The use of couple-intramol triggers the generation of atypical
> interactions, that are implemented like bonds as far as the DD code knows,
> and for a protein those "bonds" are so much longer that they set a minimum
> size that means a decomposition is infeasible.
>
> AFAIK, FEP on a whole protein isn't going to work at all anyway.

True.  But is "DOX" isn't a protein; it's doxorubicin.  There is no reason that
I can think of that would cause DD to fail unless the box is unreasonably small.
  An extension of normal interactions out to 1.9 nm should be within normal
limits if the box is of adequate size.  Perhaps the OP can give us more
information (linking the .log rather than trying to attach it) and describing
the box size.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629