[gmx-users] n2t file format for similar atoms

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 6 23:17:14 CEST 2015

On 5/6/15 1:22 PM, jwillcox at andrew.cmu.edu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to specify two different hydroxyl hydrogen atoms in the n2t
> format:
>
> H    opls_988    0.435   1.0079 1    O 0.0945
>
> and
>
> H    opls_117    0.4238  1.008   1   O 0.1
>
> for a hydroxyl group on graphene and water, respectively.
>
> When performing x2top, it seems to assume all Hs in the system are defined
> by whichever set of parameters is listed first.  I tried using alternate
> atom labels, e.g. HG and HW, but it gave the same problem.  Is there a way
> to separate the two different hydrogen types?

The simplest approach is to not use x2top for writing a water topology.  It
should be straightforward to write the water topology and #include it in the
.top (or simply use one of the existing models).

Likely what's happening is that x2top is matching the first instance of any H
that matches the distance criterion (within 10% of the specified distance).  I
bet if you reverse the appearance of the H lines in the .n2t, you'd get the
opposite parameters assigned.  You could modify the x2top code to be more
permissive if you like, but the simplest solution is what I said above - don't
ask x2top to do something complex when the molecule isn't complex :)

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore